Life after having children is full of joy and unforgettable moments. However, it can also bring about some changes to your body that you might not be entirely comfortable with. This is where a Mummy Makeover comes in. A Mummy Makeover is one of today’s most popular combinations of cosmetic surgery techniques in the UK, designed specifically to address common issues faced by women who have been through changes in appearance after having children from pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Anca Breahna is a highly skilled and experienced Consultant Plastic, Reconstructive, and Aesthetic Surgeon. With her extensive background and expertise in cosmetic and reconstructive surgery she is well-equipped to perform Mummy Makeover procedures.
What Is a Mummy Makeover?
A Mummy Makeover is not just one procedure, but a series of cosmetic surgeries that target the areas of your body most impacted by pregnancy and childbirth. This usually includes the breasts, abdomen, hips, and sometimes even the thighs and buttocks.
The aim of a Mummy Makeover is to help you regain the body you had before pregnancy, or even improve upon it. Every woman is different, so every Mummy Makeover is uniquely tailored to meet the individual needs and desired outcomes of each patient. Remember, a Mummy Makeover is not a one-size-fits-all solution but a personalised plan developed in conjunction with your plastic surgeon.
Who Needs a Mummy Makeover?
If you’re a mother who has finished childbearing and breastfeeding and you’re finding it hard to regain your pre-pregnancy shape despite diet and exercise, a Mummy Makeover might be an option worth considering. You might be an eligible candidate for the procedure if:
- You’ve completed childbearing
The ideal candidate for a Mummy Makeover is someone who has finished having children. The reason for this is simple: having another baby after the procedure can reverse the changes made during the surgery. Therefore, it’s recommended that women wait until they’re done growing their families before considering a Mummy Makeover.
- You’re at a stable weight
If you’re planning on losing a significant amount of weight, it might be best to achieve this goal before undergoing a Mummy Makeover. Major fluctuations in weight after the procedure could affect the results, leading to a less satisfactory outcome. A stable weight helps ensure that the improvements made during the surgery last over time.
- You’re in good general health
As with any surgery, being in good health is important. Conditions like diabetes, heart disease, or any disorder that can affect healing may make the procedure riskier. Make sure to discuss any existing health conditions with your plastic surgeon during your consultation.
- You’re able to take time for recovery
Recovery from a Mummy Makeover requires time and rest. You’ll need to take time off from work and arrange for help with children and household duties during your recovery period. Understanding and planning for the recovery time needed is a key factor in deciding if a Mummy Makeover is right for you.
Benefits of Mummy Makeover
The changes that occur in a woman’s body during pregnancy and childbirth can often leave lasting effects that diet and exercise alone may not be able to rectify. Post pregnancy procedures, such as those included in a Mummy Makeover, can offer several benefits. Here’s an in-depth look at some of them:
Improved Body Contouring
Mummy Makeover can help restore a more pleasing contour to your body. For instance:
- A tummy tuck can help flatten a belly that’s become distended due to separated abdominal muscles, a common post-pregnancy issue
- Liposuction can remove stubborn pockets of fat that may have accumulated during pregnancy and haven’t responded to diet or exercise
- Breast augmentation or lift can help restore volume and lift to breasts that may have sagged or deflated after breastfeeding
One Recovery Period
Since a Mummy Makeover involves performing multiple procedures at once, you only have to go through one recovery period. This means less overall downtime compared to having each procedure performed separately.
Mummy Makeover Procedures
A Mummy Makeover typically involves a combination of procedures tailored to meet the unique needs and goals of each individual. Let’s discuss some of the most commonly included procedures in detail:
Procedure 1: Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
A tummy tuck addresses the midsection, which often undergoes significant changes during pregnancy. It can:
- Remove excess skin and fat from the abdominal area, leading to a flatter and firmer belly
- Tighten separated or weakened abdominal muscles (diastasis recti), which can occur during pregnancy
- Improve the appearance of stretch marks, particularly those located below the navel
Procedure 2: Breast Augmentation
Breast augmentation aims to restore or enhance the volume of the breasts. This is often desired by women who find their breasts have lost volume or shape after pregnancy and breastfeeding. Depending on the patient’s goals, this procedure can:
- Increase the size of the breasts using implants
- Improve the shape of the breasts, creating a more symmetrical appearance
- Enhance the overall balance of your figure
Procedure 3: Breast Lift (Mastopexy)
A breast lift, sometimes combined with breast augmentation, aims to address sagging breasts, a common concern after breastfeeding. This procedure can:
- Elevate the position of the breasts, creating a more youthful and perky appearance
- Reposition the nipples and areolas if they point downward or have stretched out
- Reduce the size of enlarged areolas
Procedure 4: Liposuction
Liposuction addresses stubborn pockets of fat that can accumulate during pregnancy and remain resistant to diet and exercise. This procedure can:
- Remove excess fat from specific areas such as the abdomen, hips, thighs, and buttocks
- Enhance the contour and shape of the body
- Create a smoother, leaner profile
Procedure 5: Labiaplasty
While less common, some women opt for labiaplasty as part of their Mummy Makeover. Pregnancy and childbirth can cause changes in the labia, leading to discomfort or self-consciousness. A labiaplasty can:
- Reduce the length of the labia minora if it has become elongated
- Improve comfort during physical activities, including exercise and sexual intercourse
- Boost self-assurance in intimate situations
These are just a few of the procedures that may be included in a Mummy Makeover. The specific procedures chosen will depend on your personal goals and the advice of your plastic surgeon.
How Is the Mummy Makeover Performed?
The first step of a Mummy Makeover is an initial consultation with Anca. During this meeting, you’ll discuss your goals, expectations, and any concerns you might have. This is also when your plastic surgeon will evaluate your health, discuss the procedure in detail, and plan the course of treatment.
On the day of the surgery, depending on the procedures involved, general anaesthesia will be administered. The sequence of procedures and the duration will vary based on the specific surgeries included in your Mummy Makeover. It’s important to note that although multiple procedures are performed, they are usually completed in one operation to minimise recovery time.
Recovery after a Mummy Makeover
Recovery is a key aspect of a Mummy Makeover, and understanding what to expect can help prepare you for this process. Here’s what you should know:
Recovery Phase 1: Immediately After Surgery
- You will likely experience some discomfort, swelling, and bruising after surgery. This is normal and your plastic surgeon will prescribe medication to manage pain and discomfort
- Depending on the extent of your procedures, you may need to stay in the hospital or surgical centre for a night or two for observation and care
- You will be wearing compression garments to support your healing tissues and minimise swelling
Recovery Phase 2: The First Few Weeks
- You will need to take it easy for the first few weeks. Strenuous activities, including heavy lifting and intense exercise, should be avoided
- You will have follow-up appointments with Anca to check your healing progress and to remove any drains or sutures
- It is normal to feel tired or fatigued during this time, so rest as much as possible
- You should maintain a healthy diet to support your healing process
Recovery Phase 3: Resuming Activities and Long-Term Healing
- Depending on your personal healing progress and the type of work you do, you may be able to return to work in 2-3 weeks
- You should gradually reintroduce exercise and normal activities as advised by your plastic surgeon
- Swelling and bruising will continue to diminish, and you’ll begin to see the new shape of your body
- The full results of your Mummy Makeover will appear over several months as your body continues to heal and settle
- Arrange for help: Since you’ll need to rest and avoid strenuous activities, arrange for someone to help with household chores and childcare during your recovery period
- Follow Anca’s instructions: Your plastic surgeon will provide detailed instructions for post-operative care. This may include caring for surgical sites, medications to apply or take orally, and when to follow up with your plastic surgeon
- Stay hydrated and maintain a balanced diet: Proper nutrition plays an important role in healing. Stay hydrated and eat a balanced diet rich in protein to promote wound healing and boost your immune system
- Listen to your body: Every person’s recovery process is unique. If something doesn’t feel right, don’t hesitate to contact your plastic surgeon
Risks of a Mummy Makeover Procedure
While a Mummy Makeover can bring impressive results, as with any surgery, it comes with certain risks. Here are some of the potential complications:
These are general risks that can occur with any type of surgery, such as:
- Infection: Though rare, there’s a risk of developing an infection at the surgical site. This is usually managed with antibiotics
- Bleeding or haematoma: There can be a risk of excessive bleeding or the development of a hematoma, which is a pocket of blood that resembles a large, painful bruise
- Adverse reactions to anaesthesia: Some people may have allergic reactions or other adverse responses to anaesthesia
Depending on the specific procedures performed during your Mummy Makeover, you may face other risks:
- Scarring: All surgeries leave some level of scarring. Skilled surgeons use techniques to minimise and hide scars as much as possible, but the visibility of scars can also depend on your body’s healing response
- Changes in sensation: Some procedures, like breast surgeries, can lead to temporary or permanent changes in skin or nipple sensation
- Implant-related complications: If your makeover includes breast augmentation, there are risks related to the implants such as rupture, capsular contracture (hardening of the tissue around the implant), or the need for future revision surgeries
These are risks related to the cosmetic outcome of the procedure:
- Asymmetry: While minor differences in body symmetry are normal, significant asymmetry can occur after surgery
- Dissatisfaction with cosmetic results: There’s always a risk that the results may not meet your expectations. This could be in terms of size, shape, or overall appearance
- Need for revision surgery: If complications occur, or if you’re not satisfied with the initial results, you may need additional surgery
Medical References about Mummy Makeover Surgery
- Mommy Makeover: A Plastic Surgery Trend – WebMD
- Patience Is Important After Your Mommy Makeover – American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Everything You Need to Know About Mommy Makeovers – Cleveland Clinic
- Five Things You Need to Know About a Mommy Makeover – American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Mommy Makeover – Sandford Medicine
At a glance
2-3 weeks off work
Length of stay
Length of stay
2-3 weeks off work
Frequently asked questions
Am i suitable for this cosmetic surgical treatment?
You are likely to be suitable for this cosmetic surgery if you are not happy with the shape adn appearance of your body after changes due to childbirth and have allowed sufficient time for your body to settle. Your needs and suitability will be addressed at your initial consultation. The body can take some months to settle after giving birth, and regardless of diet and exercise, doesn’t always return to its pre-pregnancy shape so a Mummy Makeover can help you reclaim your pre-baby body through contouring and tightening surgcial procedures.
It is important to understand that surgery is not a weight loss or lifestyle concerns solution, nor can it be guaranteed to solve any confidence issues.
What Mummy Makeover procedures might I need?
Mummy makeovers are combinations of tightening and contouring treatments like tummy tuck, liposuction and breast surgery like breast uplift or mastopexy – augmentation to restore breast and body shape, and can be done on the same day. In some cases breast lift (mastopexy) alone can restore the youthful shape of your breasts, but in many situations it is necessary to combine it with an implant in order to give you the desired volume and fullness of your cleavage.
Is it painful?
These treatments will be performed under a general anaesthetic, but will leave you feeling sore for a time post treatment. A course of pain relief will help with any discomfort duting your recovery.
Are there any side effects or risks from mummy makeovers?
Breast surgery and tummy surgery treatments can incur swelling, bruising and scarring. The swelling and bruising will subside and although scarring will be permanent, the scars will fade over time. Your pre-operative assessment will address any other surgery related risks and side effects.
How much downtime is needed?
You may need to spend 1 or 2 nights in hospital after mummy makeover surgery treatments. The next 2-3 weeks recovery following the operation will require a period of low level activity and time off work. Driving may be possible after 2 – 3 weeks. It may need up to 4 weeks before travelling abroad and up to 12 weeks before returning to the gym.
When is the best time to have a Mummy Makeover after giving birth?
It’s generally recommended to wait at least six months after childbirth before having a Mummy Makeover. This allows your body to recover naturally from pregnancy and childbirth, and for you to reach a stable weight. Also, if you’re breastfeeding, you should wait until several months after you’ve stopped to allow your breasts to settle into their natural shape.
Can I have more children after a Mummy Makeover?
It’s possible to have more children after a Mummy Makeover, but it’s generally not recommended. Pregnancy can reverse many of the changes made during the surgery. Therefore, Anca usually advise waiting until you’ve finished having children before considering this procedure.
Will a Mummy Makeover get rid of my stretch marks?
While a Mummy Makeover can’t completely eliminate stretch marks, it may reduce their appearance if they’re located on the areas of skin being removed, like during a tummy tuck. Stretch marks on other areas of the body won’t be affected by the procedure.
Are the results of a Mummy Makeover permanent?
The results of a Mummy Makeover can be long-lasting, provided you maintain a stable weight and healthy lifestyle. Keep in mind that these procedures can’t stop the natural ageing process, so your body will continue to change over time. It’s important to have realistic expectations and discuss them thoroughly with your plastic surgeon.
Before & After
See the difference Mummy Makeover
has made for our clients
What our patients say...
I will be forever grateful!
Thank you so much for my breast reduction, you have honestly changed my life! You are so very talented at what you do! I will be forever grateful!
Breast Reduction – MV
Thank you you so much for the excellent piece of surgery supported by a professional and friendly team.
Capsulectomy & Implant Exchange – NG
Thank you so much for your skilled work and for changing my life.
Tummy Tuck – SJ
I knew from our first meeting you were the lady to help me achieve my dreams with my body. Thank you so much for everything.
Mummy Makeover – MG
Thank you for the time and care you have given me, for being so kind and gentle. You are a wonderful lady.
Breast Reduction – AJ
Thank you so much for the wonderful job you did on my breast.
Exchange of breasts implants – JS
I would recommend Dr Breahna without hesitation. The procedure has changed how I feel about my body and my self-confidence has rocketed.
Labiaplasty – MT
My treatment was first class. I truly believe this operation has changed my life and am so grateful to Anca Breahna for this.
Labiaplasty – AJ
I cannot thank you enough! The difference I feel is beyond how I thought it would be.
Breast Reduction – GW
Ms Breahna is a lovely, friendly surgeon who listened closely to what I was looking for. I am very pleased with the results and would highly recommend her.
Breast Augmentation – ST