Combined Plastic Surgery Procedures after Menopause
Menopause, a natural evolution in a woman’s life, brings with it distinct physical and emotional changes. In this blog, Chester Consultant Plastic Surgeon Anca Breahna addresses how plastic surgery can play an important role during this period. Focusing on Menopause Makeover procedures such as breast reduction, tummy tuck, liposuction, lower body lift, and labiaplasty, Anca explores how these treatments can rejuvenate and align with the body’s changes post-menopause. The emphasis is on enhancing well-being and confidence, offering a new perspective on embracing these changes.
The Evolution of Womanhood: Pregnancy and Menopause
Pregnancy and menopause are significant milestones in a woman’s life, each bringing profound physical changes.
Pregnancy alters the body through weight gain, hormonal fluctuations, and physical expansion to accommodate a growing foetus, often leaving lasting effects like stretch marks or altered breast and abdominal shapes. To regain their pre-pregnancy bodies, women resort to the Mummy Makeover surgery – an intervention combining breast surgery with liposuction, tummy tuck and even labiaplasty.
Menopause, occurring later in life, is marked by hormonal shifts leading to cessation of menstruation. It can result in changes in fat distribution, reduced skin elasticity, and other physical transformations. Nowadays, women can choose to undergo a Menopause Makeover to enhance their body and adjust to the changes.
Both stages – pregnancy and menopause- require adaptation and can significantly impact a woman’s physical and emotional well-being.
Download Anca’s Breast Uplift Surgery Guide
Menopause and Its Impact
Menopause, a natural transition in a woman’s life, occurs between the ages of 45 and 55. This period marks the end of menstrual cycles and is confirmed when a woman hasn’t had a period for 12 consecutive months. Menopause is a biological process, not a medical problem, but it can lead to a variety of symptoms due to changes in hormone levels, particularly a decrease in oestrogen. These symptoms can include hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, sleep disturbances, and weight gain.
The decrease in oestrogen can particularly impact skin and tissue elasticity. This is why many women notice changes in their body shape and skin texture during and after menopause. The skin may become drier and less elastic, leading to the appearance of wrinkles and sagging. The redistribution of fat can lead to weight gain around the abdomen, even if there’s no significant change in diet or exercise habits. This abdominal weight gain is often due to hormonal changes and can be challenging to address with diet and exercise alone.
Breast changes are another common effect of menopause. Breasts can lose their fullness and elasticity, leading to sagging. Some women may also experience breast enlargement, which can cause discomfort and back pain. These physical changes can affect a woman’s self-esteem and body image.
Mental health is also impacted during menopause. Fluctuating hormone levels can contribute to mood swings, anxiety, and depression. It’s important for women to understand that these feelings are common and can be addressed through a combination of lifestyle changes, support, and, in some cases, medical interventions.
Being aware of these changes is essential for women undergoing menopause. It helps in making informed decisions about managing symptoms and maintaining overall health and well-being. Plastic surgery and other cosmetic procedures can be part of this management, offering solutions to some of the physical changes that women experience during this time.
Download Anca’s Breast Reduction Surgery Guide
What Is a Menopause Makeover Surgery?
A Menopause Makeover is a specialised approach in plastic surgery, designed to address the unique set of physical changes that occur in a woman’s body during menopause. Menopause Makeovers encompass a range of surgical and non-surgical procedures tailored to counteract the changes that occur in the body after menopause, aiming to restore or enhance the body’s appearance in a way that aligns with the individual’s aesthetic goals and comfort.
The procedures involved in a Menopause Makeover are diverse and are chosen based on the specific needs and desires of the patient. Common surgical options include breast reductions and lifts, which address changes in breast size and sagging that often occur during menopause. Liposuction is another common component, targeting stubborn fat deposits that are a common menopausal symptom, particularly around the midsection, hips, and arms. In addition to these body contouring procedures, facial rejuvenation techniques such as facelifts or neck lifts can be employed to tackle skin laxity and wrinkles, providing a more youthful and refreshed facial appearance. For those seeking less invasive options, treatments like laser therapy, radiofrequency, and other skin-tightening modalities offer alternatives to traditional surgery. Each Menopause Makeover Surgery is highly personalised, reflecting the individual’s unique journey through menopause and their specific aesthetic aspirations.
What Procedures Can Be Included in a Menopause Makeover Surgery?
As a Consultant Plastic Surgeon, Anca approaches the Menopause Makeover with a deep understanding of the changes that occur in the body during menopause, offering a suite of procedures tailored to the unique needs of each woman.
· Breast Reduction and Uplift
One of the most common changes during menopause is the alteration in breast size and shape. Hormonal fluctuations can lead to increased breast size, discomfort, or sagging. Breast reduction surgery addresses these issues, reducing breast size to alleviate discomfort and improve body contour. An uplift, or mastopexy, is often performed in conjunction with breast reduction, restoring a more youthful and lifted breast profile, crucial for women seeking a rejuvenated appearance.
· Breast Implant Removal or Replacement
Breast implant removal or replacement can be a component of Menopause Makeover surgery, addressing the evolving needs and preferences of women undergoing menopausal changes. As women transition through menopause, they often experience shifts in their body image and comfort, leading some to reconsider their previous breast augmentation choices. During this phase, the body undergoes hormonal changes that can affect breast size and shape, sometimes making the implants feel disproportionate or uncomfortable. Consequently, some women opt for implant removal or replacement as part of their Menopause Makeover. Whether it’s opting for a smaller implant size for a more natural look or complete removal followed by a breast lift to restore the breasts’ natural contour, this aspect of the makeover is tailored to each woman’s unique desires and physical changes, ensuring that the outcome resonates with their current lifestyle and body image.
· Tummy Tuck and Liposuction
The redistribution of body fat during menopause often results in an increased accumulation of abdominal fat. A tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, is designed to remove excess skin and tighten the abdominal muscles, particularly beneficial for women post-childbirth. Liposuction can complement a tummy tuck by removing stubborn fat deposits, offering a more contoured and toned abdominal profile. These procedures work in harmony to address the changes in body shape that are often resistant to diet and exercise alone.
· Lower Body Lift
Significant weight fluctuations, a common occurrence during menopause, can leave behind excess, sagging skin around the abdomen, buttocks, and thighs. A lower body lift is a comprehensive procedure that targets these areas, removing excess skin and fat while tightening the remaining skin for a smoother, more toned appearance. This procedure is particularly effective for women who have experienced major weight loss and are looking to address the lingering effects on their body shape.
Download Anca’s Labiaplasty Surgery Guide
Labiaplasty, a procedure to reshape and resize the labia, is increasingly considered by menopausal women. Changes in oestrogen levels can affect the genital tissues, leading to discomfort or dissatisfaction with the appearance. Labiaplasty can provide both physical comfort and a boost in self-confidence.
Each of these procedures is part of an all-inclusive approach to embrace the changes brought about by menopause. Anca’s expertise ensures that every Menopause Makeover is as unique as the women she treats, carefully considering their individual needs, goals, and the nuances of their bodies’ responses to menopause.
An Integrated Approach to Changes Occurred During Menopause
Menopause is not just a physical transition; it encapsulates a period of complex change, necessitating a comprehensive approach to well-being. This integrated approach goes beyond medical treatments and cosmetic procedures, getting into the core aspects of lifestyle, including diet, exercise, and mental health:
- The Role of Diet in Menopause: Diet plays an important role in managing menopausal symptoms. Foods rich in calcium and vitamin D are essential for bone health, countering the increased risk of osteoporosis. Phytoestrogens found in soy products may help in balancing hormones, while omega-3 fatty acids, prevalent in fish and flaxseeds, can alleviate mood swings and depression. A well-balanced diet not only addresses specific menopausal symptoms but also contributes to overall health and vitality
- Exercise: Regular physical activity is indispensable during menopause. Exercise helps in managing weight, reducing the risk of heart disease, and strengthening bones. Activities like yoga and Pilates also enhance flexibility and reduce stress, while weight-bearing exercises are crucial for maintaining bone density. Exercise isn’t just about physical health; it’s a powerful tool for mental well-being, helping to combat menopause-related anxiety and depression
- Mental Well-being: Menopause can be a challenging time emotionally and mentally. It’s important to acknowledge and address feelings of anxiety, mood swings, or depression. Mindfulness, meditation, and counselling can be effective in managing these emotional changes. Creating a supportive network, whether through friends, family, or support groups, provides a platform to share experiences and coping strategies
- Cosmetic Procedures: Cosmetic procedures, while valuable in addressing specific physical changes, are part of a larger picture of menopausal care. Procedures like breast reduction or liposuction are not just about aesthetics; they’re about restoring comfort, confidence, and a sense of self. However, these should be viewed as components of a broader self-care regime that includes dietary management, physical activity, and mental health support
Consultation for Menopause Makeover Surgery
The consultation process with Anca is a critical step in the journey towards a Menopause Makeover. It begins with a detailed discussion, where Anca takes the time to understand each patient’s medical history, current health status, and the physical and emotional changes they are experiencing during menopause. This conversation extends to their aesthetic goals and expectations from the procedures.
Emphasising a personalised approach, Anca carefully assesses each patient’s individual needs and desires. She understands that every woman’s experience of menopause is unique, and so are their bodies and aspirations. The consultation is an opportunity for patients to express their concerns and desires, and for Anca to provide expert guidance on the most suitable procedures. She explains the potential outcomes, the process involved, and addresses any questions or apprehensions the patient may have.
This personalised care extends beyond the consultation room. Anca ensures that each patient receives a tailored treatment plan, aligning with their specific needs and lifestyle. She also provides comprehensive aftercare advice and support, ensuring that the recovery process is as smooth and comfortable as possible.
The goal of this personalised approach is not just to achieve the desired physical results but also to ensure that the patient feels supported and confident throughout their Menopause Makeover journey. This level of individualised care is essential for a successful outcome and a positive overall experience.
FAQs about Menopause and Plastic Surgery
How does menopause affect the decision for plastic surgery?
- Menopause brings physical changes like skin elasticity loss, fat redistribution, and breast shape alterations. These changes can influence a woman’s decision to undergo plastic surgery to rejuvenate and reshape her body to align with her post-menopausal physique and self-image.
Are there specific plastic surgery procedures recommended for post-menopausal women?
- Popular procedures for post-menopausal women include breast reduction, tummy tucks, liposuction, lower body lifts, and facial rejuvenation. These surgeries address common issues like sagging skin and altered body contours due to hormonal changes.
Is the recovery process different for menopausal women undergoing plastic surgery?
- Recovery might vary slightly due to age-related factors like slower healing. But with proper care and following the surgeon’s guidelines, menopausal women can expect successful recoveries similar to younger patients.
Can plastic surgery alleviate menopause-related symptoms?
- While plastic surgery primarily addresses physical changes, procedures like breast reduction can alleviate discomfort from enlarged breasts, and overall, the surgeries can boost self-esteem and body confidence, indirectly impacting menopausal well-being.
Further Reading about Breast and Body Procedures with Consultant Plastic Surgeon Anca Breahna
- Read more about 10 Things to Consider Before a Breast Reduction
- Read more about Split Tummy Muscles – Causes and Solutions
- Read more about: Breast Augmentation with Mentor Breast Implants
- Read more about How to Get Rid of Abdominal Fat?
- Read more about: Treating, Reducing and Minimising Plastic Surgery Scars
- Read more about Cosmetic Surgery for Women in UK
- Read more about Plastic Surgery for Women in UK
References for Menopause and Plastic Surgery
- These Will Be the Biggest Plastic Surgery Trends of 2024
- How Menopause Affects Your Breasts
- Menopause: What It Is, Age, Stages, Signs & Side Effects
- Changes in Weight and Fat Distribution
- Weight, Shape, and Body Composition Changes at Menopause