Make An EnquiryReception


How Long Do Breast Implants Last?

Share page:

macromastia, Facts to Know Before Getting Your Breasts Enlarged Blog Image

No patient undergoes cosmetic surgery lightly and so it is natural to seek results that are long-lasting and lead to long term physical and psychological benefit.

This is perhaps never more true than with breast implants, a hugely popular procedure for patients in the UK often undertaking breast enlargement.


Just how long do the implants last? Will they need replacing in future and, if so, how soon? How likely is it that they will need replacing?

In this post we will seek to answer these questions but it is also worth noting that there is no singular answer.

Breast implants do not have an expiry date after which they suddenly need replacing. It is not possible for any surgeon to say to any patient that in 5, 10, 25 years’ time they will require further surgery, neither can they give a 100% certain guarantee that the implants will last for any set amount of time.

What we can say with certainty is that implants have continued to improve in performance and reliability and so confident assertions can now be made.

Any good quality breast implant, and of course you should only consider highly-rated surgeons using approved and verified implants, will have an expected lifespan of at least 10 years.

This means that the manufacturer is confident that in the vast majority of cases the implants will remain sound for a decade and so there will be no requirement for follow-up surgery during this period.

However, there will be a small minority of cases where implants rupture during this time and require attention.

FDA estimates that up to 20% of women who have breast augmentation will have their implants replaced before the 10 year mark for one reason or another.

Hence it is advisable to have regular check-ups and scans to ensure that the implant is intact and there are no developing complications i.e. capsular contracture.

In some cases implants may last 15 years or longer but regular monitoring is essential.

Download Miss Anca Breahna Breast Augmentation Guide

Breast Augmentation Guide


A Key Statistic To Remember

The chance of rupture for the leading modern implants has been found to be around 1% per annum. This means that after a decade, there is a 10% chance of rupture or that in 90% of cases the implant will still be in perfect order.

How To Maximise Impact Lifespan

Any prospective patient can ensure their chances of implants lasting for a long time are enhanced by both choosing a highly rated surgeon and also ensuring that the implants used by that surgeon are the latest designs and technology.

With any surgeon you see for a consultation, ask them questions about implant lifespan and how they ensure it is maximised.

Regular Checks

Any breast implant patient should have regular check-ups post-surgery and also be self-checking to look for signs of change.

The exact nature of post-operative checks will vary by type of implant and can be discussed during consultation – the surgeon would of course also inform any patient what to check for themselves.

Depending on the nature of the implant, any rupture might be easy to spot – a ruptured saline implant is liable to deflate quickly over a matter of days and be  virtually unmistakable. Other ruptures might take months to show obvious signs, there might only be a formation of small lumps.

It is worth noting that the vast majority of ruptures are clinically undetectable and pose no significant health risks. The rupture can cause a change in shape and even some discomfort but the ruptures are not linked to more serious problems. 

Next Steps

If you would like more information about breast implants, are considering this form of surgery or have concerns about existing implants please contact us for an obligation-free consultation. 

Anca Breahna is a renowned female surgeon who has held prestigious Fellowships and been consultant surgeon at world-leading institutions.

If you would like to arrange a consultation, please use our Contact Form. 

Back to blog

About Anca Breahna – Consultant Plastic Surgeon

top UK cosmetic surgeon anca breahnaMs Anca Breahna, PhD, MSc, FEBOPRAS, FRCS (Plast) is a highly regarded Consultant Plastic Surgeon specialising in the field of Aesthetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery. Anca performs a range of breast, body and face surgery and minor skin procedures.

As one of the very few female Plastic Surgeons in her region, she is able to offer that unique female perspective, with empathy, attention to detail and personalised care.

Anca Breahna’s surgical training has been largely undertaken within the United Kingdom. She began a rigorous training programme in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in 1999, after achieving her medical degree from the University of Bucharest. Miss Breahna attained her PhD degree at the same university in 2007 for her medical research. She then relocated to the UK to further extend her qualifications and training.

Anca’s NHS practice is now focused on Breast Reconstructive Surgery, Skin Cancer Surgery, Hand Surgery and soft tissue reconstruction. Over the last 15 years, through her pursuit of further training and education, Anca has developed a special interest and expert practical experience in a range of Aesthetic Breast and Body Surgery.

It is Anca’s true dedication and commitment to her field, that sets her aside from her peers. Her extensive surgical training means that you are in safe hands. She is renowned for providing exceptional care, support and helping achieve realistic goals for her patients.

Anca will treat you in a straightforward manner, with respect, consideration and empathy to ensure you are comfortable with your choice.



Your Next Steps

Do your Research

  • Please read our website pages and blogs to learn more about your intended procedure.
  • All Surgery has risks and potential complications. Please read more about the risks of your surgery.

Making The Most Of Your Consultation

  • A Medical Referral from your Doctor before your consultation is not compulsory however  it is recommended.
  • Please arrive slightly early for your in-person consultation with Anca – Car parking is available on-site at all hospitals.
  • You are welcome to bring a friend or relative to help consider the information and discuss your options.
  • Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes.
  • Ensure you also take a lot of notes during the consultation and thoroughly read all the documents provided.

Want more information before scheduling your consultation?

Please call to find out more about availability, pricing and medical payment plans or to request more information about the procedure, contact us.

How to Book your Consultation with Anca Breahna – Plastic Surgeon

You can book your consultation with Anca by paying the £150 cosmetic consultation fee when you make your appointment. This fee covers further consultations about the same concern.

Contact Anca’s Team

Call Claire on 0800 080 6026 or Joedy on 03332 244111 to arrange your consultation or email us for more information.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Newsletter Signup

Send a Message

Send an enquiry

  • Please upload any relevant photos of what you are trying to achieve or your current situation. This may help you get an earlier surgery or consult appointment. Limit 20MB & 3 images. Only include your face if relevant.
    Drop files here or
    Accepted file types: jpg, png, jpeg, gif, Max. file size: 20 MB, Max. files: 3.

    Let's Talk

    Get in touch


    03332 244111



    Cheshire Cosmetic Surgery
    Chester Wellness Centre
    Wrexham Road
    Chester CH4 9DE

    Nuffield Health
    Wrexham Road
    Chester CH4 7QP

    Practice Manager: Claire Bate – Phone 0800 080 6026

    Patient Coordinator: Joedy Williams – Phone 03332 244111

    Get Directions